Friday, July 24, 2015

Trying to Draw Every Hair Around a Face

 

A few days ago, I decided to draw another face. I started with the eyes, nose, and mouth. It was looking like the last realistic drawing I made of a face, except I think I scaled the features more realistically this time. Then, it was time to draw the hair. In my last drawing of a person, I drew the hair quickly by going back and forth with my pencil. This time, I decided to try to add more detail. I drew one hair at a time, not lifting my pencil until I reached the end of each strand. I was able to pause in the middle of a strand and start again without changing the thickness as long as my pencil's point stayed on the paper.





I started each strand where the part was at the top of the head, and then only moved down. I drew some bangs that were also parted. Surprisingly, drawing each hair did not take much longer than shading in the hair would have, and it looked more natural. I felt more focused when working on this drawing than the last one. Drawing each detail individually was very enjoyable. I was thinking of adding more hair or shading, but I did not want to make the details I had already added hard to see. Next time, I will try to draw more strands of hair. 


Instead of adding shading to the rest of the face with shadows, I drew small, light horizontal lines. At first, I worried this would look like facial hair, but the more I added, the more the lines made the drawing appear more three dimensional.


Next Thursday, I am going to post a video showing how to draw realistic eyes on my YouTube channel, Varietygirl1.


Please share or comment on this post if you enjoyed it. You can find me on Facebook or Twitter @Varietygirl1. On Google+ and YouTube, I'm +Varietygirl1.

No comments:

Post a Comment