Monday, June 16, 2014

An Attempt at Making Clay Food

For my Spanish class, I had to preform a restaurant scene. We were allowed to use props, and I decided to make clay food (rolls, flan, and a strawberry).



Dinner Rolls:
I made clay rolls by making aluminum foil balls, and covering them in a thin layer of baking clay. I wanted to paint the rolls with different shades of brown, to make the rolls appear baked. I used watercolor paints, until all the colors started to blend together. When I tried to add a second coat of paint, the first coat became wet again. In the end, I painted the entire roll with one shade of brown. I placed the rolls in a wicker basket.


Flan:
I thought it would be easier to make the flan out of paper mache than clay. First, I tried to make the flan out of a yogurt container covered in paper mache. The next day, the paper mache dried, but the yogurt container smelled like spoiled milk, even though I had washed it with soap and water. I decided to throw this flan away, but I didn't give up.

I looked through the recycling for a container shaped like a flan. I found a plastic applesauce container, which didn't smell of spoiled food. Due to lack of time, I decided to paint the container without covering it with paper mache. I covered the entire container, inside and outside, with yellow acrylic paint. After the yellow paint dried, I covered the top of the flan with light brown acrylic paint.

Once all of the paint dried, I placed the flan on a plastic plate. Then, I placed a clay strawberry on top of the flan.


The Strawberry:
The strawberry was the only piece of food I was able to make without any problems arising. It was made out of baking clay, which I covered with acrylic paint. To see how I made the strawberry, click the video below:





No comments:

Post a Comment