Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Caught In the Rain: A Lace Doodle

Read about how my lace drawing, and video, came into existence:


One day, earlier this year, I was sitting in school with all my work done. There was still more than ten minutes of class left, so I decided to take out a piece of paper and draw. The only paper I had at the time was lined or graph paper. I chose the graph paper because it had lighter lines.



At this point, I did not know what I was going to draw. First, I needed a writing utensil. All my pencils needed sharpening. I managed to find a pen that barely worked. I moved the pen in circles to get the ink started.








When I took the pen away, I noticed that these squiggly lines looked like stitches in cloth. I practiced making this type of line a few times, as you can see in the photo on the left, and then decided to draw lace.










I was not able to finish my drawing before I had to switch classes. However, when I got home, I decided to work on it. My camera and tripod were already nearby, so I filmed myself drawing. I didn't notice that there was a smudge on my camera until after I finished the drawing. I didn't have time to start over. Instead, I saved the footage on my computer, and debated whether to turn it into a video.

Months went by. I soon forgot about the lace video. When the school year ended, I took all my papers and folders home. The other day, I was flipping through one of these folders when I found my lace drawing.



The corner had been damaged from one day where I had to walk through heavy rain, but luckily the water had not reached the ink.







Looking at this paper again, I decided to finish the video I had filmed months before. The footage was a little shaky, but I felt that since this drawing had survived the rain storm, it was worth finishing the video.









And here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment