Friday, June 20, 2014

Printmaking: The Element Stannum (Tin)

In my art class at school, we made our own prints that represented an element. I was given the element stannum, which is more commonly known as tin. The stamps had to include the atomic number and symbol.

First, I made three sketches with a black, thin-tipped sharpie:


 As far as archaeological records show, tin was first discovered by people somewhere in Europe or the Middle East. This map with a question mark symbolizes how the exact location of the first tin mine is unknown.

(This is the sketch I used to make my print.)

 Tin can be melted with copper to form bronze. This process was first used around 3000 BC, a time known as the bronze age.

The atomic symbol of copper is Cu, and the atomic symbol of stannum is Sn.

Bronze is used to make bells and other objects.


Tin is also used to coat the spot where two wires join.






 After I decided which design I would use, I traced the sketch with pencil.

Then, I flipped the tracing paper, placed the paper on top of a board, and used a pen to go over the edges of the design.







Next, I used a cutting tool to remove material from the areas of negative space. When I was done carving my stamp, it looked like this:


I used a roller to put paint on my stamp. Then, I placed a paper on top, and pressed the paper down by rubbing a wooden spoon over it in a circular motion. I carefully removed the paper, and let it dry overnight.
This is what what the final stamp looked like:


No comments:

Post a Comment